Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Welcome to Colbertdale

I had a bit of fun in my Carbondaley Dispatch blog, with an idea to rename the City of Carbondale to "Colbertdale" after Stephen -- because he is 'the father' of the "Paducah-Carbondale Corridor" a phrase he jokingly coined in conversation with singer Randy Newman months ago. The idea was (and still is) to rename the City for one day. Then print tee-shirts proclaiming "I Slept in Colbertdale, Illinois" and the date. A fun(d)raiser for the Jackson County Stage Company.

But people really disliked the idea. And one reader even offered to pay me $20 to stop writing about it in the blog. So I relented, and the grateful reader promised to send $50 to the Stage Company, which is an interesting fundraising approach.

But I didn't say I'd stop writing about it altogether. I am intrigued by the legal process by which a City changes its name. I don't expect it to happen, but ya never know what other good can come of trying.

So I suggested (in my blog) the City rename a street in Carbondale, "Paducah-Carbondale Corridor Avenue (which doesn't exist in reality, only as a joke of Stephen's.) I realize it's a mouthful, but that's part of the fun of it.

Tomorrow I am meeting with the Mayor of the City (pictured in the top left column photo) to learn what is possible and feasible -- and what isn't.

I'll keep this blog updated, but the Carbondaley Dispatch readers will not be up to speed, unless they read this blog.

No comments: